Things move fast in the digital world. Developers are constantly innovating and optimising, new features are regularly rolled out, and security needs to be updated as vulnerabilities are discovered. This is why it’s so important to keep up to date with the latest trends and developments so that you know when to update your mobile app.
The frequency of your updates depends on the type of app and its purpose. Free apps are generally updated more frequently than paid apps, as the constant updates keep users engaged. Free apps usually update every one to two weeks, while paid apps tend to follow a monthly or bi-monthly schedule.
On average, once a month is a good baseline, though you can update up to four times a month. It is good practice not to update too frequently, as you could risk annoying your users. However, this is less of an issue now with the ability of users to allow automatic updates in the background. It is also worth considering if your users have regular access to the internet or if they will likely be using mobile data for updates.
Types of updates
There are several reasons to update your mobile app. Some of these can be scheduled, while others can be rolled out as necessary:
- New features – These are usually planned well in advance and can be advertised in order to generate awareness and interest in your app. It is important to keep up with current trends so that your mobile app stays relevant and competes well in the market.
- Bug fixes – These are ad hoc updates that may need to be developed and rolled out quickly, depending on the severity of the problem. Bugs can be introduced by other updates you’ve rolled out or discovered by users as time goes on.
- Security patches – Another type of update that is rolled out on an ad hoc basis, these are developed in response to new threats or to patch vulnerabilities that may be uncovered by users.
- Performance improvements – These updates may be needed to speed up the app or to improve the user experience. You’ll know when to do these if you pay attention to user stats and feedback on the app stores.
- Operating system updates – When the operating system itself is updated, your mobile app may need to be updated as well. Both Android and iOS tend to receive major updates on a yearly basis, and you may need to align with any new design philosophies introduced by the system update and ensure compatibility.
Get the experts to help
At Netgen, we provide maintenance and updates to any of the mobile apps that we develop. Contact Netgen today if you’re in the market for a solution from an industry leader.