Differences between packaged software and custom software
Choosing between packaged software and custom software is a strategic decision that hinges on the unique requirements and aspirations of a business. While packaged software offers accessibility and cost predictability, custom solutions provide tailored functionality and unparalleled flexibility.
- Commercially available for everyone
- Packaged software is a one-size-fits-all solution commercially available to a broad user base. It’s designed to address common challenges faced by businesses within a specific industry.
- This off-the-shelf approach allows for widespread accessibility, making it a viable option for businesses with standard operational needs.
- Sold at a fixed rate
- The pricing structure of packaged software follows a fixed-rate model. Businesses purchase licences for a predetermined cost, often making it a more budget-friendly option during the initial acquisition phase.
- Fixed rates provide clarity in financial planning, enabling businesses to allocate resources without the uncertainty of fluctuating expenses.
- Limitations on flexibility
- Packaged solutions come with pre-built features and functionalities, limiting the degree of customisation. Businesses must adapt their processes to fit the software rather than the other way around.
- While updates are provided by the software vendor, extensive modifications to meet specific requirements may be challenging.
- Tailor-made for you
- Custom software is a bespoke solution crafted to address the unique needs and workflows of a specific business. It is tailored to fit seamlessly into existing processes, enhancing operational efficiency.
- The software is designed from the ground up, considering the specific requirements and challenges faced by the business.
- Price depends on your requirements
- The cost of custom software development is influenced by the specific features, functionalities, and complexities required by the business. While the initial investment may be higher, it ensures a precise fit for the organisation’s needs.
- This pricing model provides a transparent understanding of costs, as businesses only pay for the features they need.
- Open to any changes that you need
- Custom solutions offer unparalleled flexibility and adaptability. Businesses have complete control over the software’s features, interface and functionality.
- Updates and changes can be seamlessly integrated, allowing the software to evolve alongside the business and accommodate shifting requirements.
Considering custom over packaged software? Contact NetgenNetgen specialises in developing custom software solutions and we have a long history of delivering successful projects on time and within budget. If you’re looking for custom software that fulfils your specific needs, get in touch today.