What is a web app and are they still useful in 2023?
The evolution of the web app
Web apps have come a long way since their inception in 1999. In the early days of the internet, web apps were relatively simple, providing basic functionalities like email and document sharing. However, with the advent of more advanced technologies and the rise of mobile devices, web apps have become more sophisticated.
Today, a web app is capable of performing a wide range of tasks, from complex data processing to real-time communication and multimedia streaming. They have become an integral part of our daily lives, powering online services, ecommerce platforms, social media, and much more.
Why are web apps still useful today?
- Cross-platform compatibility – Web apps are inherently cross-platform. They can run on any device with a modern web browser, be it a desktop computer, a smartphone or a tablet. This universality makes them accessible to a broad audience.
- Easy updates – A web app can be updated centrally on the server, ensuring that users always have access to the latest features and security updates without needing to download and install patches.
- Cost effective – Development and maintenance are often more cost-effective than creating separate native apps for various platforms. This is especially advantageous for businesses and startups with budget constraints.
- SEO-friendly – They can be indexed by search engines, making them discoverable by users searching for related content. This can be a significant advantage for businesses aiming to reach a broader audience.
- Progressive web apps (PWAs) – PWAs have gained popularity in recent years. They offer a native app-like experience with features like offline functionality, push notifications, and home screen installation, blurring the line between web and native apps.
Let Netgen develop your web app
Netgen specialises in custom software development. If you’re looking to create a web app or other piece of software, get in touch today.