Mobile app trends in 2021 reflected the state of the world as millions of people stayed indoors and worked from home due to lockdowns and quarantines. Smartphone users sought entertainment, leading to the meteoric rise of social media platforms like TikTok, while remote working software and communication apps were also very popular. With the worst of COVID-19 seemingly behind us, what does the future hold for our mobile apps?
- 5G – 5G promises to bring massive changes to mobile apps. This connection is up to 1000 times faster than its predecessor, which makes advancements possible in fields like the Internet of Things, Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality.
- Progressive web apps – A great example of what’s possible with 5G, progressive web apps are the hybrid of websites and mobile apps. These offer more functionality than a website, without needing to download and install an app.
- On-demand apps – These apps operate as a middleman, connecting customers to the services they require. Examples of this kind of app include Uber and Bolt for transport and food delivery, and Sweepsouth for house cleaning. Expect this sector to continue flourishing as developers figure out new ways to make our lives easier.
- AI and machine learning – Companies are already using AI to analyse data and make predictions to assist in inventory planning. Chatbots are growing in intelligence and popularity. Virtual assistants like Apple’s Siri, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant are becoming more and more useful, especially as smart home devices become more prevalent.
- Foldable phones – With many of the kinks having been ironed out, foldable phones are truly ready for the mass market. Modern apps will need to be able to adapt to the different resolutions made possible by this technology.
- The Internet of Things – This has been a buzzword for a few years now, but the Internet of Things continues to grow and evolve. From robot vacuums to smart gardens, there’s seemingly no limit to the kinds of things that can be connected to a smart home and controlled via your mobile phone.
As is usually the case with technology, the future holds a lot of promise. It will be interesting to see how the world takes advantage of these mobile app trends. If you’re looking to build an app, the experts at Netgen have years of experience developing apps for both Apple and Android. Contact us today.